The Air Tightness Testing & Measurement Association is a DCLG-appointed Competent Persons Scheme for air-tightness testing.
The Air Tightness Testing and Measurement Association (ATTMA) is a professional association dedicated to promoting technical excellence and commercial effectiveness in all air tightness testing and air leakage measurement applications. It was formed in 2002 to promote the testing and measurement industry and supports its members by extending market awareness of the technology and the members’ services.
The ATTMA Scheme commences 1 January 2015 and provides a combined scheme covering all parts of the industry. It is open to all those previously registered with BINDT and nearly 200 testers from over 100 firms have so far indicated their interest in joining. Scheme membership will be updated during January 2015 as testers confirm their wish to be part of the scheme and a list of scheme members will appear here as soon as possible.
Prior to 2015 all members of ATTMA had to be accredited by UKAS to ISO/IEC 17025, with a scope covering air tightness testing to ATTMA Technical Standard 1 and BS EN:13829 (2001). This third party accreditation demonstrates the technical competence of ATTMA members in carrying out air tightness testing, including calibration of the equipment used and training of staff carrying out the test. A test report carrying the ATTMA and UKAS logos will therefore be recognisable and technically credible. Members of ATTMA are BINDT Registered to test dwellings (L1A, Section 6 domestic and Technical Booklet F1) and new buildings other than dwellings (L2A & L2B, Section 6 non-domestic and Technical Booklet F2)
Why Choose an ATTMA Member?
All members of ATTMA are independently audited and certified, with a scope covering air tightness testing to the ATTMA Technical Standards (TSL1 &/or TSL2) and BS EN:13829 (2001), demonstrating knowledge and understanding, which enables them to test both commercial and domestic developments in accordance with relevant building regulations.
• Individually auditing our members on-site – by visiting every single tester in the scheme (and not batch auditing), we check not just paperwork, but the entire testing process. We see everything including, but not limited to: Quoting, contracting, testing method, report, calibration, condition of the testing kit, quality control measures, the test reporting process and much more. This gives the end user confidence that, in order to get that ATTMA certificate, the above process has been followed.
• Auditing in accordance with ISO 19011 – Our auditors are trained to audit in accordance with ISO 19011 and ISO 9001 – promoting a uniform audit no matter who the company are.
• Lodgement – Our lodgement system is ever evolving. We have worked with the equipment manufacturers for over a year to implement ATTMA Lodgement – a process of lodging data and allowing a fairer way to fund the scheme as well as the ATTMA uniform certificate which all members produce, making it clear whether or not a test has truly passed.
• Technical Support – With a Scheme Manager that has been in the industry for over 9 years, companies that own calibration laboratories, companies that offer the industry training and the largest equipment sellers in the country as members, we can offer unrivaled technical support.
• Over 130 member companies and 350 test engineers – The numbers speak for themselves. We are the largest scheme and therefore enjoy the benefits that come with being the largest scheme – Financial stability, a support network and a Trade Association that supports investment and research. We pride ourselves on not being a scheme to just take your money and provide you with a 1 year long ‘license’ to test.
By being part of the ATTMA Scheme, ATTMA members go above and beyond the minimum requirements of the ATTMA scheme.
Percentage of UK companies that are ATTMA Registered
Estimated percentage of UK Testing carried out by ATTMA Members
The ATTMA Team
Who you can call on for support
Dear Members and Observers, ATTMA Lodgement will be mandatory for ALL MEMBERS as of 1st September 2015. Lodgement has been introduced into the industry for a number of reasons: To support Building Control / Approved Inspectors to make informed decisions about the validity of tests. This is done by having a uniform test certificate that[…]
ATTMA have recently had an article posted in RICS Building Control Journal. Please see the link below for the article. 2015.03.31 – RICS Building Control Journal – Change is in the air
Following a period of uncertainty, DCLG (Department for Communities and Local Government) has now confirmed their position for what they require in terms of accreditation for Air Tightness Testers. The following letter was written to Building Control and Approved Inspectors: “I am writing to inform you of the closure of the British Institute of Non-destructive[…]
The ATTMA Scheme Document and application form are now available. Testers transferring from the BINDT scheme may claim “grandfather rights” provided they have returned a provisional registration form by January 2015. New testers or those not previously registered with ATTMA or BINDT will need to apply for membership and full details are contained in the[…]
Latest scheme bulletin includes: • Welcome letter from Barry Cope, the ATTMA Scheme Manager • Update on the ATTMA Scheme for Competent Air Tightness Testers (The ATTMA Scheme) • The Scheme Manager Role • Scheme Benefits • Finances • The Lodgement Software • “True or False?” ATTMA Registration Bulletin No 3 – 13.11.14
A Competence Based Scheme recognised and supported by LABC, NHBC, HBF, BINDT and Authorised by DCLG An ATTMA Bulletin will be issued shortly which sets out: • Current position • Purpose of a new registration scheme • Aims of a new registration scheme • A brief outline of the new registration scheme • Third Party[…]
A new unified, competence-based scheme will go live in the new-year which replaces and goes beyond the existing BINDT and ATTMA schemes. To find out how, air tightness testers in both of the existing schemes are encouraged to attend this launch event, which is taking place on Saturday 20th September 2014 at BINDT, St George’s[…]